Tuesday, January 8, 2013

banff and lake louise and how i got a job



view from banff
So i had figured out 3 essential things neccessary for work: sin, sim and bank account.
I had also printed out some resumes and as i was already tired of boring calgary, i bought a bus ticket to banff (20$ with hostel card discount)  for saturday morning, planning to start there and continue to lake louise on my quest for a job.
Banff is nice, small town between rocky mountains, it has river passing it to add some extra quality and main thing – it is close to several ski resorts. I started in tourist information, and got to know that Saturday is day off for hr people. Still i got some local papers and hints where to look for job. So i found quiet coffe shop with wifi and browsed through employment ads. There were some with potential, one of them skishop on main street, soon i was there and gave my resume to shop. Somehow day was already past noon, so i needed to move on. 


trans-canada highway


Sun was doing good job with shining so i decided to hitchhike, either to lake louise (50km further north from banff) or back to calgary, depending on drivers will. There was sun and snow and -12C.
I walked to the highway but retreated soon as there is lotsa gravel to kill slipperiness and this gravel likes to fly around and break cars windows. So survival instincts got me back to the exit road and luckily some good people soon gave me lift to calgary. 


hitchhiking


In the evening i got phonecall from skishop, and got asked to job interview for next day.
Conveniently Jon was planning trip to Lake Louise next day, so I joined his company on and spent first half of a sunday hiking around lake. very nice place indeed ski, hike or ride horses.


supercute horses at lake louise

Gingerbread for my mind was discovery of nice ice climbing route and some rock climbing routes there. Will have to come back here with right equipment and some jolly camrades. 

Most importantly in the evening I had very positive interview in ultimate ski&ride shop and got to know that I have a job – not too bad considering it was just my fourth day on this continent.
I was supposed to start work on wednesday, so that gave me couple of days in Calgary to do last things in big city and get ready to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment